Monday, June 7, 2010

Asbury Bible School (long post)

What a big week for Parker & Mommy! I was thinking Sunday night before bible school started.. "what have I got myself into?" I have volunteered to work bible school & send Parker to the nursery & what if he's a drop out?! He's never been away from me except with family. My nerves were shot! Here's how the week unraveled.

Monday: dropped Parker off to his new teacher Mrs. Allison, they had to peel him out of my arms, he's screaming at the top of his lungs, checked in on him a little later & he was being strolled to calm him down, I probably checked on him at least 5 times throughout the day, finally time to pick him up & he lost it when he saw me, Parker was crying so hard I think because he wasn't sure if I was actually going to get him or not, as soon as I got him in my arms he yelled to the nursery workers & waved his hand "BYE!" BYE!", then as we were leaving he kept saying to me "mom mom back", "mom mom back", he stayed in his stroller all day

Tuesday: peeled him out of my arms again, nursery workers strolled him AGAIN!, I checked on him about 5 times, one time Parker was on the playground & Mrs. Allison was sitting beside him on the bench petting his hair, she was asking him questions & he was responding, I knew then that he was ok & felt safe, they were taking great care of my precious angel, picked him up same thing as Monday, they did say he didn't cry the whole day just some on & off, & that they wished music was all day because he loved it

Wednesday: same drop off but a little harder, I checked on 2 times & couldn't find his class, on the way out he said " No No hurt!" to the carpet, I am assuming that he fell down & got a boo boo, Nanny has taught him to say that at things when he gets hurt, he wanted me to be sure that I knew he stumbled

Thursday: the final day, we made it!, Parker completed his first week of school at 21 months old, my arts & crafts friends that I worked with said he was in his stroller but he did work on his craft today, I thought he's liking it yea!, so I didn't check on him any this day, I go to pick him up & he was fine!, Mrs Allison said he did great today & actually walked around the play ground, he wanted to tell me "mom mom paint" showed me his hand, ( I knew what he was talking about since I worked the preschool crafts, hand prints), he was proud of what they & he had done
When we got home he was so proud of all the things they had sent home from school. He really wanted to show them off. All week long every morning I would have this pep rally about school. Yea, we're going to school just like Ace (Austin), it's going to be so much fun, we're going to make new friends, do crafts & see puppets, dance to music etc. So now he associates school with Austin & being big. One morning I said we are going to play on the playground & he said "Emma?" One of the little girls from our play group. It made me sad for him, I think he missed his old friends.

I know all this may sound really silly to be so worried about dropping my child off at a completely safe environment. It's our church which I LOVE for crying out loud. However, if you know Parker then you know his separation anxiety. It is so severe I thought about calling our pediatrician to ask her for advice. I guess what I learned this week is that he & I will survive big school in Sept. I just hope they have a stroller & some music is all I'm saying! Ha!

Our group the preschool crafts. What a wonderful bunch of sweet ladies! I had an absolute blast aside from the Parker drama. It was a great break. We worked with the 3 & 4 year olds. They were adorable. It got me excited to see where Parker will be a year from now.

The morning pep rally. Off to school! As Parker calls church "chuch". Or going to school "ace".

The preschool crafts. Can I just say they have come a long way since I was in bible school. I remember making a bead necklace & getting a certificate & that's about it! Boy did we pull out all the stunts for those little angels.

Day 3 of VBS, can't you see the excitement in Parkers face? Ha ha, not!


The preschoolers posing with the astronaut in their "space suits". The theme was Galactic Blast, a cosmic adventure praising God.

3 comments:

  1. Parker is so sweet and getting SO BIG!! I worked VBS Arts & Crafts last week too! Except I worked it for the big kids!!

    Miss y'all! Lets get together soon! Love keeping up with you on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parker is getting to be such a big boy! And oh my, he is such a cutie...that picture of him on Day 3 is ADORABLE. I could just eat him up with a spoon!!

    VBS was probably a great way for him to prepare for "big school" in September and give you a chance to be in a place where you could check on him throughout the day. I watched Aubrey go from severe separation anxiety to total confidence in new environments after starting a Mother's Day Out program. I know it's hard for both Mommy and toddler, but you will be so glad you did it. It's a growing process for both of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Background